How To Fix A Hole In Jeans will help you to repair a pair of jeans in no time, all you need is a piece of matching denim and pick one of the patching methods below.
Most ways to fix a hole in jeans involves a patch, which is a piece of fabric big enough to cover a tear or a hole, a patch can be made with a piece of same fabric or with a different type of fabric to stand out.
A patch can be sewn on the face of the jeans or from under the hole. Decorative patches will always be sewn on the face of the garment, while regular patches will go under the holes.
We will share some easy ways to repair a hole in your jeans with a sewing machine.
How To Fix A Hole In Jeans
1. How To Fix A Hole In Jeans With Invisible Mending
Supplies Needed : Darning or embroidering foot, a piece of high quality cotton interfacing or a piece of denim and thread in the color to match your jeans.
If you’re sewing machine has a darning foot it will make it easier to see what your doing, but it case, you’re sewing machine doesn’t have a darning foot, you also can do this mending on your jeans with a regular presser foot.
Easy steps to follow to mend a pair of jeans with a regular or multi-purpose presser foot.
- Cut a piece of cotton interfacing or a piece of denim bigger that the hole size in your jeans, by placing the interfacing or denim under the hole, it will reinforce the weakened area. You can pinch a couple of pins to help you to hold this piece in its place while you sew it on.
- With a pair of scissors trim all the thread that comes out the tear on your jeans.
- Place the jeans on you’re sewing machine and check if the interfacing or the denim piece is all flat under the jeans.
- Sew on over the tear up and down, you will do this step by sewing on the area and push of the reverse lever to sew on up. Do this step up and down and move the jeans with your hands to go from right to left to cover all the torn area.
- Stop the machine and trim the thread.
After you finish work on this method to fix a tear in your jeans, on the back side, it will look like this, you can trim the interfacing or the denim with a pair of scissors, this patch is called an invisible patch and it will fix your jeans in a very nice way!
In case, you will work on this mending method with the darning foot, follow the same steps but be sure to change the presser foot for the darning foot and lower the feed dogs.
2. Repairing Jeans – Easy Way To Mend a Tear In Your Jeans
Supplies needed: Sewing machine with multipurpose presser foot, thread color matching your jeans.
This is the easiest way to mend a tear in your jeans, only recommended when the tear is small in size. It will look fine,and it won’t take long to make it but it might not last long.
- With a pair of scissors trim all the threads that come out from the tear.
- On the back of denim, pinch the two sides of the tear flat and place it on you’re sewing machine.
- Sew it a couple of times and lock the stitch.
- Cut the thread and the tear is fixed.
3. Patch With Decorative Fabric
Supplies Needed: A piece of cotton fabric in any color or print, you’re sewing machine with multipurpose presser foot and thread in any color.
On this method you can use any color fabric and thread, if you decide to work on it to make it to look almost like the denim on your jeans, pick a fabric and thread that is almost matching your jeans color, but in case, you decide to make the patch to stand out, pick any color fabric and thread.
The tear in your jeans is wide, this is a good method of working to patch your jeans.
- Place the piece of fabric on the back of the tear and pinch a couple of pins to hold the piece of fabric on its place while you sew it on.
- Sew on with straight stitching up and down from one side to the other to sew on the four sides of the patch.
- When finished, trim all the threads from the tear.
When you finish sewing on the tear with a decorative fabric, it will look this way on the back, you can trim the fabric and thread with a pair of scissors.
4. Patch With A Patchwork Patch
Patching or repairing a pair of jeans with some Patchwork patches has been the favorite way to turn an old pair of jeans into a stylist pair of jeans and turn them into a unique piece of cloth that everyone will be talking about.
If you love to make patchwork, you might have an orphan small block that you have been saving for something special, but if you don’t make any patchwork, but if you love to sew, it won’t take long for you to cut out some basic pieces of fabric to make a patchwork pattern to patch a tear in your jeans.
In case, you have a quilter friend, you can also ask her/him for an orphan small block, I’m sure they will have one to give away to you.
Supplies needed: Sewing machine with multipurpose presser feet, one small orphan patchwork block (any pattern and any color), thread.
Nothing easier to use this method to patch a tear in your jeans, and will always look great!
- Place the patchwork block over the tear and pinch a few pins.
- Set up you’re sewing machine with zigzag stitching.
- Sew on the edge of the patchwork block.
- You can decide whether or not to sew on with straight stitching over the patchwork block.
Clothing Thoughts On How To Fix A Hole In Jeans
Jeans must be the favorite piece of clothing for many of us, they are all made with denim and they are made to last for a long time, but it can happen that your favorite pair of jeans can get a tear or a hole and you just don’t want to put them away.
Invisible mending or sewing on a patch will help you to fix that hole in your jeans so you can ware them for a longer time.
Whether you pick the invisible mending to fix a small tear on your jeans, or choosing to sew on a patch to fix a big hole on them and turn your jeans into a unique piece of clothing is up to you, both methods will look great, both are easy to do!
With an easy to set up sewing machine at home, fixing a hole in your jeans will take only a few minutes and you will love the process of mending your jeans and turn them into a unique piece of clothing nobody else will have!
If you have another way to fix a hole or a tear in your jeans, share it on a comment, it will help many!
You can also read:
- The Best Sewing Machines For Beginners – You don’t need to break the bank to get a basic sewing machine with enough features to help you to work on many different projects.
- 5 Sewing Machine Maintenance Tips – Learn how to keep your sewing machine on its best!
To Read More Sewing And Quilting Tutorials, just click here!