With the idea to wrap gifts sustainable, learning how to make your own DIY – Eco-Friendly Fabric Gift Bags will help you to make them in no time and spending on it just a little.
Changing the habit to use paper for wrapping gifts to using fabric bags made by you is an idea that is more eco-friendly these days and the best of it is that the receiver can use the fabric bag as a groceries bag or for other purposes.
Making a fabric bag will take you not very long, and is an easy sewing project for beginners.
It only takes a few steps to make it and you’ll get great results always!
DIY – Eco-Friendly Fabric Gift Bags
Materials You Need To Make A Fabric Bag.
1 x piece of fabric of 22 x 13″
1 x piece of ribbon
You’ll need also.
Sewing machine (This is the sewing machine I have at home, you can take a look at it on Amazon)
1 pair of scissors
Note: I’m sharing a tutorial of a finished bag of 10 x 10″ , but you can follow the same instructions to make any size bag, just cut the piece of fabric folded as the size of bag you’ll need, the two cuts on the bottom of the bag to make the boxed bag might need to be a little bigger or smaller, it will depend on how big or small you want to make the bag.
* You can find Affiliate Links on this post, you can read the full disclosure here.
Step by Step Tutorial To Make An Eco-Friendly Fabric Gift Bags.
1. Cut the piece of fabric to make the bag.
This time I used the rotary cutter, the cutting mat and the patchwork ruler to do this step, but you can measure the fabric with the measuring tape and cut the fabric piece with your best pair of scissors. Press.
2. Start with the fabric on your work table right side up and fold the fabric in the middle, with the help of the patchwork ruler, trace with a pencil a 1/4″ seam all along the side of the bag.
Trace a 1 1/4″ x 1 1/4″ square on each of the bottom corners of the bag. Pinch a few pins.
3. On the side to sew, trace with a pencil a mark of 2 1/4″ from the top of the bag, this mark is where you’ll put the ribbon to tie the bag.
4. With the help of the scissors cut out the two squares you traced on the bottom of the bag.
5. Fold the piece of ribbon in the middle and place the fold inside the bag on the mark you traced with the pencil, pinch a pin to hold the ribbon.
6. Run your sewing machine all along the side and the bottom of the bag, first with a regular stitch on your sewing machine and then with a zigzag feature.
7. To make the boxed bottom in the bag, open each one of the squares you cut of the fabric on the bottom of the bag, and
8. Lift and pinch the corners of the cut-out squares together.
9. Sew shut both of the fabric openings, first with a regular stitch on your sewing machine and then with the zigzag feature.
10. Turn out the fabric bag and fold 1/4″ two times on the top of the bag, pinch a few pins and run the sewing machine all around the bag opening, Press.
11. The fabric gift bag is finished, it only took less than 10 minutes to make it and it was the first one you made, the next fabric bags you’ll make will be easier and faster to make.
12. Place the gift to deliver inside the bag and tie a bow with the ribbon.
You can use this tutorial to make easy to sew fabric gift bags to use this Christmas or on any occasion, the only thing you need to do is to choose the perfect fabric to work with it!
The fabric design will help you to sew a fabric bag for any time of the year or for the right event!
How much does it cost to make an eco-friendly fabric bag?
Making an eco-friendly fabric bag to deliver a gift doesn’t cost much, I made this fabric bag out of a fat quarter and it cost me only $2.50 Can, but I only used 3/4 of it, so I still have some fabric to make a smaller fabric bags or something else.
The ribbon was in a package of 5 different ribbons that cost me $1.25 Can. So it cost around 30 cents.
The materials to make this fabric bag cost a total of $2.30 Can. If you compare to the cost of paper gifts bag, the cost could be the same and in many cases it could cost a little bit more!
How Many Times Can a Fabric Gift Bag Be Used?
As many times as you want, when you deliver a gift in a fabric bag, you can add a note to tell the receiver to use the bag to deliver another gift to someone else, or to use the bag to go to the groceries store or to a farmers market.
The fabric bag can also be used to keep inside many things. They are a big help to get everything well organized at home.
You can read also how to make a reversible drawstring bag
If you deliver the fabric bag to a quilter, I’m sure the quilter could use the fabric on her/his next quilt!
If you enjoyed this article, give my Pin a share! Thank you!